Huh?

Utah, United States
One night while tucking Abby into bed she sweetly chimed, "good night! Sleep tight! Don't let the bed bites bug you!" I like her thinking. Sometimes life bites. The trick is to not let it bug you.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Crock Pot Ham Bone Soup

We have a ham bone in our house, and no, I'm not talking about Ian. Perhaps you have one left from your Easter feast, too. I love this yummy recipe, a change-up from typical takes on ham bone soup I've had before. Lots of the ingredients are things I keep handy in my pantry and food storage, and you probably do, too.


  Ingredients

  • 1 ham bone with some meat
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans
  • 3 potatoes, cubed
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
  • 4 cups water
  • 6 cubes chicken bouillon

Directions 

Place the ham bone, onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, and green pepper into a 3 quart or larger slow cooker. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in water, and pour into the slow cooker. 

Cover, and cook on High until warm. Reduce heat to Low, and continue to cook for 5 to 6 hours. Serves 4.

 

I added a bay leaf and carrots, left out the peppers per Scott's specs, and doubled the recipe to the extent my average-size slow cooker allowed. I found this recipe at allrecipes.com, my new favorite cooking site. 

 

1 comment:

apple slice said...

lookin good. sometimes i called the play "Hamlet," "hambone." if someone else did, i would probably think they were dense. i should judge myself on the standards i put to others.