Huh?

Utah, United States
One night while tucking Abby into bed she sweetly chimed, "good night! Sleep tight! Don't let the bed bites bug you!" I like her thinking. Sometimes life bites. The trick is to not let it bug you.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Visual Eminent Domain
I have mixed feelings about this. A few years ago, my in-law's neighbors tore down their rambler and built a very tall 2 story in its place, blocking the lovely view of the mountains Tom and Carol had previously enjoyed in their backyard. This included a view of the peak where Scott and I became engaged, so I was bugged. Prior to construction, I had a friendly conversation with the sister of Tom and Carol's neighbor. She asked if I had seen the demolition. I said that I had, and that we all hoped the view wouldn't change too much. The neighbor's sister just said "oh, they don't care about the neighbors" and walked away. Now, I don't think you can begrudge someone their rightful airspace. But at least have a little sympathy for those downhill from you! Smile apologetically, build your skyscraper. This has all been brought back to my recollection due to a dispute in Bountiful (I think) that has been in the news lately. In response to the complaints of neighbors, a view-blocking home builder conjured this lovely view-enhancing design for the rear of his home. A warning to anyone who might ever want to complain to their neighbors!
p.s. this picture was taken from a church parking lot. (rolling my eyes)

No comments: