Huh?

Utah, United States
One night while tucking Abby into bed she sweetly chimed, "good night! Sleep tight! Don't let the bed bites bug you!" I like her thinking. Sometimes life bites. The trick is to not let it bug you.

Friday, May 06, 2011

Spring Fever: Wreaking Havoc or Reeking of Havoc

Tramp: official toy of Utah. Or should be.
We've finally had a few consecutive days of good spring weather, and the kids have been on the trampoline and their bikes, attempting to recover from some serious cases of "cabin fever." Not enough for Scott, though, who apparently thinks our kids are missing some essential childhood experiences.

Funny what you learn about your spouse after 16 years. I already knew Scott had a mischievous side, and a mischievous little giggle to go with it. When Scott and I got engaged, his sister Kristina came up to me with a completely straight face and said, "your kids are going to be hellions." So far, none of our children have displayed the mischievous tendencies Scott was apparently renowned for, much to Scott's disappointment. A recent conversation between Scott and Wes was very revealing.

Wes: "I'm bored."
Still exploring: Scott & Will, 7/10.

Scott: "You're crazy. When I was your age, I would have been out exploring."

Wes: "Pretty much everything to be explored has been discovered by now, Dad, there's nothing left to explore." (Well, true, I guess we can't expect Wes to ever know the joys we had on our expeditions with Louis & Clark.)
Atop King's Peak, 7/10.

Scott: "Are you crazy? When I was your age, I would have been all over that golf course." Scott points in the direction of the nearby neighborhood links.

Wes: "What would I do over there? I'm not into golf."

Scott (rolling his eyes): "I would have been all over that place, checking it out, finding golf balls, trying to joy-ride a golf cart..."

I immediately started laughing, thinking about a mulleted Scott attempting covert operations at a golf course.

Scott went on to regale us with stories of his glory days of juvenile delinquency, taking down friends Ryan and Will with him.

Tri-ing together, 9/10.
Now, I don't mean to imply that Scott was up to anything devious in nature, but I think it would be safe to say that Scott had occasion to use some of his scouting skills outside of the camp, so to speak. Anyway, while Scott's stories are funny to hear about and I smile thinking of him up to his boyhood capers, I find it even funnier that all of this golf course madness has occurred to him... as an adult!

Having his own adventures: Wes at Lake Powell, 7/10.

As far as I'm aware, Wes has a mellow teen life at the moment, hanging with his buddies, riding his bike, playing a few video games. I am relieved I'm not getting calls from golf pros (or police, for that matter), asking me to come pick up my son and banning him from the premises. Now that he's had the idea, though, I'm not so sure I won't be getting such a call about my husband!

No comments: